[tb_google_map address=”Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary, Kollam, Kerala” maptype=”terrain” zoom=”10″ widht=”100%” height=”350px”]
The tract dealt with is located in the western slope of Western Ghats in the Taluk of Pathanapuram in Kollam Revenue District and lies within 760 -59’ –30s. and 770 -16’- 30s. east longitude and 80- 44’, 90- 14’ north latitude. This tract is bounded by Thenmala Forest Division in the north, Tamil Nadu Forests in the east, Thiruvananthapuram Division in the south and Punalur Forest Division in the west.
This area lies south of Ariyankavu valley and stretches to a length of about 25 km east-west. The Shendurney river originating from Alwarkurichi peak and Karimala Kadakkal on the south eastern region along with its tributaries like Umayar, Parapar, Uruliyar and Pasmankandamthodu drains through the sanctuary. The sanctuary is situated about 68km from Kollam and 72km from Thiruvananthapuram city on N.H.208. Kollam – Shenkottah meter gauge railway line passes close to the sanctuary.
How to Reach
- Thenmala is at 75 Km away from Thiruvananthapuram and 66 Km from Kollam.
- From Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam KSRTC operates regular bus services at regular intervals.
- The train service is also available from Kollam which is now interrupted by gauge conversion work .
- Nearest town – Punalur 21 Km.
- Nearest Airport – Trivandrum 72 Km