Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary Established in 1984 is situated on either side of the Parappar reservoir and is the only sanctuary in the Kollam district.. The sanctuary covers a total area of 171 sq kms and is acclaimed the world over for its bio-diversity true art of nature . The Parappar dam has been built across the Shendurney River where it joins with Kulathupuzha river and Kalthuruttiar at Thenmala and serves the purpose of irrigation in Kollam and Pathanamthitta districts. The lake covers a total area of 13.72 sq kms. The mean temperature during summer is 35 degree centigrade and during winters it around 16 degree centigrade, with the annual rainfall is approximately 3200 mm. The terrain here is rugged with gentle to steep slopes ranging between 90m to 1550m. The tourist season is during the cooler months from October to March.
Visit Permits can be obtained from:
The Chief Wildlife Warden,
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala – 695014
Ph : 91-471-62217
The Wildlife Warden,
Shendurney Wildlife Division,
Thenmala dam.P.O, Kollam(Dt)
The Assistant Wildlife Warden,
Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary,
Thenmala dam.P.O Kollam – 691308.
- Inspection Bunglow at Ottakkal:- The rooms can be allotted to tourists only on the basis of advance booking through the forest headquarters as per existing government rates.
- Dormitory (40 beds) both at Thenmala and Kattilapara
- Camping facilities inside the forest
- Camping facilities offered by TEPS(Thenmala Eco-tourism Promotion Society)
Near by Attractions
- Various Zones of TEPS(Thenmala Eco-tourism Promotion Society) like Leisure zone, Adventure zone, Deer Park, Butterfly Park , Musical fountain and Childrens Park
- Suspension bridge at Punalur.
- Water falls at Palaruvi.
- Water falls at Courtallam.